Saturday, March 7, 2009

Weekend? What Weekend?

It has gradually dawned upon me that my weekends are not really weekends, as they are commonly understood to be. Most people think of a weekend as a "time off" from work. A few days for rest, relaxation and fun.

Seven months into the school/fencing/ballet/swimming year, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really have a weekend. Most of my Saturdays and Sundays are filled fuller and busier than the rest of the week.

Take today. I got up at 6am (an ungodly hour - I never get up that early M-F) to volunteer at Rosie's swim meet. From 6:30 to 11:30 I served bagels, muffins and cup-o-noodles, while occasionally dashing out of the snack bar to cheer on Rosie. (BTW - she shaved 6 seconds off her 50 backstroke and made her "B" time - woo hoo!).

For the rest of the day (with one hour break for a walk, and 20 min. to write this blog) I did my motherly duty in the kitchen. I am the behind the scenes support person for ARG's poker night. Homemade cookies, pizza from scratch, snakes galore - plus cleaning the house. Phew! Tonight I will serve and clean. Then lay down on my bed and pass out.

Then there's tomorrow. I am volunteering at church. This means I have to get to church one hour before the first service (yikes - it's daylight savings!). Then I have to work through both services, while managing my girls before, between and after. (ARG and Hubby will be at a Bay Cup Fencing tournament at Stanford). On top of this, I am running the sound board for the worship band. Do I know how to do this? Not really. Am I comfortable doing this? Heck no! Will I be sweating and praying and hoping for no major feedback? Yeah baby. I'll be there until noon, at least.

Yes, I do get Sunday afternoon "off". If "off" means I don't have to drive my kids to a class, or assist with math, or read out loud. But if "off" means I get to do whatever I want to do? Not so much.

I must add a caveat to all this: I do get some hours to myself during the week when St. Nan Nan comes. And sometimes, I even manage to do something fun like coffee with a friend. But usually it gets filled with exercise, errands, dr. appts....etc. Trader Joe's without the kids? Yipeee!

I yearn for my next real "time off".

It's coming....in May....
(squeeling and bouncing)....
yes! it's another superfun trip to NYC!

(more on that later)

1 comments:

Deborah said...

NYC?!? Can't wait to hear more about that trip. Have van, will travel.