Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tolkein

As I get older, and life gets harder, I am always on the lookout for things that lift my spirits. A few things I've found so far include: margaritas, playing with Lucy the dog, Project Runway (season 10 starts this week!), cuddling with my youngest and baking, to name a few.

But recently I (re)discovered a gem that makes me happy and makes me think: J.R.R. Tolkein. I began reading The Fellowship of the Rings to my girls this week and found myself chuckling as I read. Seeing Rosie laugh out loud every time Tolkein describes the hobbits' love of eating is such a pleasure. Explaining "big words" to Julia makes me feel like I'm giving her something good. Talking about the story together, laughing when Julia calls something "my precious", and just plain appreciating the mastery of Tolkein's writing have added a little bit of joy to my life. And we're only on chapter 2!


1 comments:

HaynesBE said...

It's called "Change Detection"
that's how i keep track of you. :)
Great to see you Monday!!