Monday, September 5, 2011

It's that time again

Yep, the presidential election is starting up again.

Those who know me, know that I hold zero hope that I will approve of or vote for the candidate from either major party. Usually it is a time to be depressed about the trajectory of the country I love so much.

But there is one bright spot for me in all the ugliness that is presidential politics:
My Main Man (MMM) Ron Paul.


 I just love this guy. I can't help it. He is so sincere, honest, humble, principled....so unlike just about every other politician I've seen. The fact that he stands for just about every political principle I hold dear doesn't hurt him in my eyes either.

But it's not just his politics, it's the way he is. Smart without being arrogant. Persuasive without being aggressive. Firm in his views without getting personal. And he's just a cute old guy. I love him.

I realize his chances of winning the nomination are quite small. But he and his message are getting a lot more attention this time around. He is influencing the debate instead of being completely written off as a whacko. He is only partially written off as a whacko now.

But he predicted the financial problems we've had. And more people are willing to agree with his opposition to the endless wars around the globe and his calls to bring the troops home immediately.  Some say he is an isolationist, but that is a misnomer. He is all for travel and most of all robust trade with all nations -  he is against the US constantly getting entangled in foreign wars.

I followed MMM and the liberty movement that supported him during the 2008 election. It was interesting to see how the Tea Party grew out of the left-overs of his campaign. The Tea Party began as primarily an economics-driven movement. It has gone through a lot of changes, and appears to have been co-opted by the far-right evangelical movement. According to my son, the Tea Party is done. Personally, I'm not sure what to think.

All I know is that I loathe the Republican National Party establishment. Ditto for the Democratics. I never cared for Mr. Obama, though I am proud that our country showed it was able to elect a black president. I hate the way the two parties care only about power, and the influence they have on American politics.

MMM Ron Paul is a renegade, and definitely anti-establishment. It should be entertaining to watch how he is mocked during the Republican debates.

I'll always love you Ron Paul!

0 comments: