Monday, November 23, 2009

It's half full darn it!



I have known for a long time that I am a "cup half empty" [henceforth known as CHE] type of person. I'm not sure why I turned out that way - it wasn't on purpose. Until recently, I didn't see it as much of a problem (that's weird - I didn't see the cup half empty in a cup half empty way....)

But recently I've been realizing that being a cup half empty person is a real drag. When I have a choice about how to perceive and respond to a person, situation...whatever, I end up doing the mostly negative route. By habit. I'm conditioned. The ruts in my brain are set.

How lame is that? Aside from being un-fun and uncomfortable, it is the opposite of what Jesus teaches. Jesus teaches us to grow in love, kindness, respect, honor....all the good stuff. Not get stuck in the bad attitude of the day.

The only potential benefit of seeing things in the CHE way is that (I believe) it helps me have a pretty good grasp on reality. No rosy glasses and all that. But I suppose it skews my reality more than I'd like to admit.

So, I've been trying to shift my attitude to....you guessed it - "Cup Half Full"! It is strange and requires my full attention and intention to make it happen. Those ruts in the brain? They are strong. But I really don't want to live the rest of my life in a negative funk. I'd even risk having rosy glasses on if it helped me feel better most of the time.

Negative thoughts? They equal negative feelings. And I dont' need any more of those.

1 comments:

HaynesBE said...

Here's another thought:
What's the matter with half-empty? The empty space is an iopportunity to fill it with something great!!
(Actually, I wobble between half-full, and "You mean there's something missing?")

B