Friday, June 5, 2009

Does that man ever shut up?

The elevators in the NY Hilton have TV screens in them. The executive lounge has big screen TVs. And let me tell you, 9 out of 10 times we rode the elevator or went into the lounge, Mr Hope himself was talking.

That's right, President Obama has a lot to say. And he says it. All the time. Yack. Yack. Yack. I couldn't believe how many times I saw that man's face on a screen that week.

Now that I've been home I've gotten a reprieve (remember, we don't have cable). But, I swear, that many never stops! I hear about him on the radio in the car. This speech. That speech. This address. That rant. Oh, sorry.

Honestly, I don't listen to carefully to what he says. I'm pretty sure that I don't like most of it. Though I do approve of his call to the Palestinians to turn away from violence as a tool for legitimacy. And now and then I appreciate an articulate president.

But mostly I wonder at the amount of air time that guy receives. Are we seeing a cult of Obama? I mean, I remember the heady early days of Clinton's presidency. But it was nothing like this.

But I can be sure each time I plop my behind behind the wheel and turn on NPR, I'll be sure to get the latest update on what Mr. Hope is saying today.

0 comments: