Thursday, October 9, 2008

Best Birthday Present Ever

Yesterday I got the best birthday present I could've asked for.

I'll need to back up a bit and share a harrowing story for that sentence to make sense. About 3:00pm I got a call from my sister-in-law telling me that my mother had suffered a seizure while getting dental work. The seizure lasted a full two minutes. Then she was unconscious for a while longer. When she regained consciousness in the ambulance, she couldn't talk. That was her status when I received the call.

I remember saying things to my SIL, but I was in that place in my head again - observing but not thinking well. It took me several minutes to get my mind to function (barely) and then I began to cry. A sweet moment amidst the crisis was when ARG came to me, asking if I was OK. He hugged and comforted me as I anguished over the possibilities for my mom.

Calls to my good friend (I'm not sure if I can use her name...) and Hubby (I know I can't use his) got me rolling towards the hospital. Two hours away (at least) through Bay Area rush hour.

I never made it to the hospital though. About half way there I got a call saying Mom was awake, talking and feeling better. There didn't seem to be any sign of a stroke and they were running every kind of test on her. I decided I could drive out later (after traffic) if I was still needed and then headed back home.

The best birthday present I could ask for is that my mom is totally OK! Every test was negative. She just had a bad reaction to the pain medication the dentist gave her. Wierd, huh? I talked to her last night and she was feeling fine, and said, "Isn't this a revolting development?". This morning when I called, she had already worked out, and was going to golf in the afternoon. That's my mom. She's pretty strong.

The way my friend and Hubby so completely supported and comforted me was icing on the cake. There no "thing" someone could give me that would mean more to me than my family and friends, full of love, healthy and safe.

Amen?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it not strange how something like that just blasts you out of your daily life and makes you look at the big picture.

HaynesBE said...

What a horrendous experience. I am so glad it turned out ok.

Life is ever so precious and way too short.

Beth

Unknown said...

Glad your mom's ok!

Deborah said...

Happily relieved for you all.