Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Homeschooling

The thing about homeschooling is that half the time you feel that you and your kids just aren't doing enough, or the right things and they are being deprived. The other half you are sure your kids are geniuses and are at least two to three years ahead of their "school age" peers. I am longing for a more even-keeled road.

Sometimes my daughter scares me, when she can't locate Louisiana, or Spain on the map. Last year she couldn't remember what month we were in. But she can do long division and fractions and decimals in her head (she got her Dad's math brain).

My son worries me when he prefers to lay in bed reading most of the day (admitedly it's educational reading) and does his "real"/"other"/"schoolwork" between 4 and 6pm in the afternoon. But he can critique text books on the Great Depression, reads books on rocket science, is at least a grade ahead in math....well, I could go on and on.

I am not worried about "socialization" - that bugaboo of homeschooling. They interact with plenty of people of all ages and backgrounds through classes, friends, sports and church.

I worry slightly that they will have a harsh adjustment when they get older and need to actually get up and be dressed and ready to work at an early hour. But we can phase into that.

No sometimes I just have a vague, nagging worry that "I'm not doing enough". I'm pretty sure it is a public school hangover. Every time I make the report for our charter school lady and see all that they are doing and learning, I am reassured.

Actually, I love homeschooling. I get to snuggle on the couch with my big kids and read for hours. Great books together - very cool. I get to have talks with them about deep things, and important things. They get to learn my take on the world, which frankly, I think is better than public school indoctrination. That is a plus - but I am well aware that as they grow they need to be exposed to other opinions, beliefs...etc. so they won't be too insular.

Well - time to start. We're reading "Of Mice and Men". It's a little intense (especially for Rose), and has lots of swearing, but WOW what a great writer Steinbeck is!

0 comments: