Thursday, March 12, 2009

Home Exchange

When I volunteered at Rosie's swim meet over the weekend, I got to talking with another mom. She shared all about how she and her family had done a home exchange. They traded homes with a family in Holland, and spent six weeks toodling around the Low Country, seeing storks and blonde people. She went through HomeExchange.com.

It got me to thinking. I have always wanted to go back to Spain. And I have failed miserably at teaching my children Spanish. What a great way to kill two birds with one stone - go to Spain! I looked up on the home exchange site, and of course found the most adorable, lovely, perfectly situated apartment in Madrid. I WANT TO GO!!!!!!!

It has room for all of us. It is right near the Retiro park. Walking distance from the Prado. Sigh. It would be heavenly.

But what am I thinking? We are moving ever closer to getting a dog! We can't go away for six weeks any time soon. Or even a week. Or even on a plane. Not to mention, airfare to Madrid is about $1,000 per person. Not in the budget. But what a fantastic dream......

EspaƱa....

Thinking about strangers looking at my home has affected me. I'm looking at it with new eyes. And what do I see? A mess. A home that I never finished decorating. Dying plants. Junk.

So, I'm on a cleaning spree. I'm throwing stuff out. I'm cleaning above the stove and under the bed. I want to get this house in order! Or at least start the process toward a home that anyone would be happy to vacation in.

I've probably got a year at least to get it together.

1 comments:

Mike said...

That's a great idea. I've often considered doing the same, but never acted on it. Good luck!