Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Your standard rant

I am going to take a moment and vent about the restrictions of my blog.

About half the time when I think ,"It would be cool to write about that!" - I CAN'T. Self censorship. Might offend. Might reveal too much. Might hurt.

Then, when I consider what I would like to write about, I'm always thinking about who actually reads this blog. I don't know everyone, but I know a few of the folks who check-in here. "What would she think about that?" and "Would he like that?" float through my head.

I mean, who is this blog for anyways?

It was supposed to be for me, to make "A Serious Attempt at Fun". But often, the funniest things going on in my life are my crazy interactions with my family and friends. But SafetyMan is ubercautious. ARG is a teenager (do I need to say anything else?). Friends read here and so I can't rant about them.

UGH!

So, what? I'm left with politics? I am so over my head in disgust at what's going on right now, I wouldn't know where to start. I think I'm psychically bummed to be living in America during it's decline (it's true, I heard it on NPR!)

Plus, I'll be honest. the intellectual rigor it takes to make my position compelling, or even clear, is a bit much for me right now. I feel like I would need to devote more time and energy to it than would be good for the fam.

So anyways. BLAH.

Why don't I just quit this thing? I don't know. I suppose I still feel a spark in there that wants to come out. A part of me that wants to reach out and communicate and share.

Man, this is the angst I feel over a little blog. I feel for real writers.

3 comments:

HaynesBE said...

the blog is yours. It's for you...but it's not a journal, so it is what you want the world to know about you--and I love reading whatever you write. Absolutely whatever-- because it gives me a peek at who you are and what is going on in your life, and both of those are important to me.

Sue said...

Thanks Beth for your kind words.

Mike said...

Writing is good exercise for the brain, so keep it up! Not every blog post needs to be big or meaningful. Sometimes I just type up something because I want to be able to read about it in the future.