Sunday, December 21, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookie Expert 2

I am tickled.

This afternoon I sat down to my computer with a batch of chocolate chip cookies a-bakin' in the oven and guess what? I received an email from a complete stranger (I think - sometimes I forget people) asking for advice about (you guessed it) chocolate chip cookies!

I know I have boasted about my CCC baking prowess. It is a little joke of mine that makes me happy. And there is some truth to my bragging - they're pretty darn good. I was being silly when I listed myself as a CCC expert. You know, "a serious attempt at fun" and all that.

But to be consulted as an expert was pretty thrilling. I won't bore you with the details. Suffice it to say butter, eggs, flour, oven temp and kitchen aids were discussed. I don't know if my input was helpful. But gee, how fun!

Along those lines, I've had a brainstorm for a fun fundraiser. What about a CCC baking contest? I was thinking maybe at my church - for someone in need, or for a cause. Each contestant would pay a $10 entry fee, and I suppose we'd have to limit the entrants to 10. Otherwise the judges might be overwhelmed. Then people could pay a $10 fee to judge the cookies. If we could get even 20 people involved, that would be $200. Probably we'd have to attach the contest to some other social event.

We would cut each entrant's cookie in half, so each judge would be tasting a maximum of 10 half cookies. It would be blind tasting of course, with no one knowing whose cookie they were tasting. Cookies could be rated for appearance, texture and taste. Mike and/or coffee would be provided for judges.

The winner could get a ribbon or silly medal and the high honor of winning the contest. After the contest, everyone could pig out on the left over cookies.

What do you think? Crazy? Unworkable? Maybe worth a shot? Back to the drawing board?

If I organized it, would it be ethical to enter my cookies in it? Maybe I could bake them and have someone else secretly enter them for me anonymously?

Mmmmm....cookie dreams....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will vouch for your CCC expertise! The contest sounds great, but does Mike know you're offering him up with the cookies? :-)

Mike said...

I think this is a good idea. People love both chocolate chip cookies and competitions. I would not worry about entering in the contest either. As long as you weren't a judge and a contestant, I think it would be fine, especially if no one knows who they're voting for.

Sue said...

Cathy - I don't know if people would believe that Mike baked them.

Mike - now I need to figure out when to implement this brilliant idea.

Anonymous said...

Sue, I was refering to "Mike and/or coffee would be provided for judges." That gave me a chuckle.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was only my family that called milk mike glad to know there are others out there .