Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Know Better Than That!

Yuck.

I had the worst food day yesterday. I only ate white food. Oh, it's so bad for me!

Breakfast? Oatmeal cake at my bible study (with a sugar frosting).
Lunch? Leftover pasta from ARG's birthday meal.
Snack? Toast w/ butter.
Dinner? More pasta.

Oh wait, I had a bit of Rosie's hot dog. that has color. And I can't leave out the most colorful thing I ate all day: a brownie with mint chip ice cream on top.

Ugh. I feel sick this morning.

Most days I am really into nutrition and health and providing colorful meals for my family. It is a real passion of mine. BUT - it requires effort.

Yesterday I was just plain lazy about my food. I was so busy preparing goodies and drinks and snacks and supplies for ARG's overnight camping birthday extravaganza that I just didn't have any uumph left to create healthy meals for myself. And the girls just got hot dogs for dinner. Ketchup was their vegetable. At least St. Nan Nan left some fruit salad, which they ate as well.

I know better than to eat all white, starchy foods. They contain no fiber to keep things moving along inside (if you know what I mean). They provide minimal nourishment and short-lived energy. And they just plain make me FAT!

So, I'm off to the farmers market today to pay penance for yesterday. Dark leafy greens? Here I come! Fresh organic berries? You're mine!

I found a blog called GreenSmoothieGirl and I think I'll try one of those. Basically you shove your blender full of spinach and kale and berries and bananas and apples and water and blend the heck out of it.

We'll see if I can get it down. Who knows, maybe I'll love it. It will certainly help compensate for my non-nutritious day yesterday.

For any foodies that might be interested - check this out:
Farmer's Market Report

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh, my we all have days like that. I had a colorful afternoon snack yesterday - a brownie ice-cream sundae.

I'm hosting a "Farmer's Market Reporter" Mr. Linky. Maybe you'd like to submit this post? Come on over and check it out: http://toeverymeal.blogspot.com/2008/08/farmers-market-report-august-23rd.html

Nutmeg said...

OH my! I find that if I don't get enough protein I have major problems. Like shaking sweating and passing out. I thought everyone did but apparently not.

I find it great to have bananas, cheese sticks and yogurt on hand. They are pretty fast and easy food. Even my girls know that if they get hungry before dinner they can have those three things.

I have some great high fiber recipes, I'll try to find some. My best is this smoothie. I've made is since I was pregnant with Emily 18 years ago. I just do close to these measurements, nothing really carefully measured:
a frozen banana (peel and freeze ones that have turned brown)
a cup of non fat milk
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup non fat dried milk
1 egg (or two egg whites)
Ovaltine to taste

I also make it for the kids when they are sick. They love it but would urp if they knew what was in it LOL.

Not to take up your whole blog, but here is a good dinner that's high fiber:
3 carrots, diced
1 onion
3 T garlic
3 cans of any kind of beans. I like garbanzos, black and white beans
1 28 oz can of tomatoes.

cook the onion, carrots and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Dump in all the cans. Bring to a boil. Another family favorite and tons of fiber.

meg

Kerry said...

Thanks for submitting your post. I'll have this week's Farmer's Market Report up by 10AM. Hope to see you then!

www.toeverymeal.blogspot.com