Saturday, May 31, 2008

Climate Change

We are all understandably concerned with climate change.

The messages of impending doom, and ways the government will save us, surround us daily. The effort to cut carbon emissions enough to avoid catastrophe is the new holy grail.

Now, I am certainly not an expert. I would say I'm a dabbler. I have read a bit, and watched a bit, and listened a lot. From what I can tell, the science is not conclusive either for or against human-caused climate change.

But since I am not an expert on this topic, I will refer you to my friend Beth's blog:

Wealth is not the Problem

Beth is probably the smartest, clearest thinking, well educated, open-minded person I've ever met. I met her through homeschooling, and we were part of a Constitution study group a few years ago. We share a passion for the founding principles of our country: individual rights, sovereignty of the people, limited government. We differ over the existence of God.

Her post on Climate Change is a great starting point for anyone wanting to consider the knotty problem:

...too much of the science is hopelessly tangled with politics. The strongest proponents of anthropogenic, catastrophic, CO2-induced climate change (now there’s a mouthful!) are also the strongest proponents for government-imposed plans which reduce and ration energy use.
Check it out.

1 comments:

HaynesBE said...

Yikes! Thanks for the kind words. I'll do my best to live up to them. Sure is a nice list of qualities to strive for!
Beth