Saturday, August 18, 2007

I'm a Paulite

Ron Paul's position in the Republican party's straw polls:

Iowa 5th place
Illinois 3rd place
Alabama 1st place
New Hampshire 1st place

Hmm....do I see a trend?

OK, OK...so the straw polls are fundraisers for the republican party and in many ways meaningless. OK, so most candidates don't even attend them. STILL...it's SOMETHING!

I heard Dr. Paul on NPR's "Wait! Wait! Don't tell me..." today. What a treat. He is so awesome. Even the smarmy host couldn't make him sound bad. He had great answers to all the questions and won the quiz - he rocks.

Why am I so drawn, even politically enamored of the Paul campaign? I think it is because for the first time in my life my ideology has a voice on the big stage. Not only that, but Dr. Paul is so articulate, smart, humble and funny. He doesn't engage in ad hominim attacks on his rivals. How refreshing is that? It is the first time I have found a politician who is honest, walks his talk and believes what I believe.

I wonder what his movement will become after the campaign. Because this is about more that Ron Paul. He'll never get enough media coverage to become known enough to even get close to winning. But the grassroots movement behind his campaign will not (I HOPE!) go away. It is about restoring the Constitution and reigning in big government. Will it transfer to the libertarian party? Will it create another party? I don't know.

All I know is I'm going tomorrow to San Francisco to a MeetUp group. We're going to paint stencil posters to hang over freeways for the Ron Paul Revolution. Cool. And in a few weeks I'm sitting at a Ron Paul table at the SF farmers market. I'm tryin.......

2 comments:

Mike said...

Maybe Mike Gravel and Ron Paul can form a ticket. Two guys who know they have no chance, so they can say what they actually believe.

Sue said...

Yes, I've seen them linked before. But since their politics are pretty far apart I don't see how they could be on the same ticket.

I think it would be great if they had 2nd tier debates and gave them time to really explain their positions. It could be fun.