Monday, March 25, 2013

Renaissance

There is something so romantic about studying the Renaissance period in history. In our homeschool studies, MiniMe and I have come to that special time in history when European philosophy, science and art burst out of their medieval bounds. Thanks to rediscovered Greco-Roman ideas, the levels of achievement and beauty attained during this amazing time reached new peaks.

I am especially enamored of the way people (OK, let's be real, mostly men) opened their minds to new ideas from every aspect of life. They weren't limited by subject or field of study. They were seeking Knowledge and Beauty and Wisdom. Artists were mathematicians. Scientists were architects. There was a freedom of thought that enabled some of the highest achievements of mankind!

Da Vinci, Copernicus, Shakespeare, Descartes, Galileo,  Michelangelo, Newton. I mean, come on! Getting to spend time learning about these guys, what made them tick, and what they created - how fun is that?

Comparing Renaissance art to medieval art is fun, hee hee!



Reading Shakespeare stories and seeing his plays leads to a lifetime of enjoyment! (I think everyone admits that the first 10-15 minutes are unintelligible. But after that, you start to sync with the language. Boy, did that guy have a bead on human nature. Plus he was hilarious!) 

Looking at the Duomo in Florence, or St. Peter's Basilica in Rome (inside and out) really make me appreciate how much the Greeks have influenced architecture.

When I get a glimpse into the world changing ideas of Copernicus, Galileo and Newton, I see the roots of all modern science.

Understanding just a little bit about the Renaissance makes me feel connected to people who were and are interested in the progress of humankind. Plus, it gives me a great reason to travel to Florence! That trip is way up there on my bucket list.




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go too!!!