Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I'm Adjusting...

It was a happy day when ARG got his driver's license.

I was especially looking forward to staying home more with the girls. For the last two and a half years I have been doing a monumental juggling act - homeschooling the girls (which actually requires one to be at home!) and driving ARG everyday to his classes at CSM and fencing lessons. It has been a struggle, to say the least, to find the chunks of time needed to do the kind of homeschooling I'm used to. In-depth science projects and reading out loud have suffered a bit in the last few years.

But that's all changing now! ARG is doing a great job of getting himself out the door, and then driving himself to and fro each day. Now I am spending entire days at home. I have time to read aloud more. Science projects are getting done. MiniMe and I are reading and writing poetry together.

Also, I have time for personal projects now. I have written more blog posts this month than I've written in a long time. Bills are no longer piling up waiting for me to get to them. I can spend time planning ARG's college visits without taking time away from the girls. I am loving it.

However, there is a downside. I haven't quite integrated the idea, "there is no car here" into my thinking. I keep making plans that require the car, without realizing that the car will not be here. A few days ago I moved a playdate for MiniMe to this afternoon. This morning, on his way out, ARG reminded me that he wouldn't be home (ie. I won't have a car) until 8:00pm. Oops. How will I get MiniMe to her playdate (which I have already moved once, and can't move again without seeming like a complete flake)? This is just one example of something that has occurred several times.

So, I am trying to adjust. I am trying to remember. I guess the price I pay for oodles of free time at home, is that my plans for outings will be a little clunky for a while. It's worth it.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Can you get another car?