Monday, August 4, 2008

Mama Mia!

I went with a friend tonight to see the smash summer hit Mama Mia!

Well, I have to say that I laughed out loud more than five times. I may even have snorted. It was very silly and campy and how can you not love Meryll Streep?

But like all musicals, it is pretty dorky when they're having a conversation and then bust out into song. Sometimes you are laughing AT them, not with them, ya know?

I give it a B+. Setting: beautiful. Acting: great. Singing: good. Dance scenes...OK. Believability? Well, I don't think they're going for that.

I wasn't bored. That's something.

And it did make me want to appreciate every minute I have with my girls before they grow up and leave. It is hard to have that perspective when you don't have enough time for yourself. But I know they day will come when I'll wonder why I didn't spend more time with them.

Want a feel good movie? Go for it. Like Meryll Streep and good looking men? Same. Can't stand musicals - stay away, far away.

1 comments:

Meg S. said...

Did you see the play? We've seen it twice. I'm hoping to have my folks watch the shorties so we can go see it. I haven't seem a movie in a theater since..... uh ..... Spiderman? My husband introduced me to the modern musical -- he loves them so I guess I'm lucky!