Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Too Much Chocolate

In my world, too much chocolate seems like an impossibility. I am a chocolate aficionado. A connoisseur. A lover of all things chocolate. Some say I have even perfected the chocolate chip cookie. I can't disagree.

But last night, I had too much chocolate. It was a desperate case; a wonderful dinner but no dessert planned. Hubby, being the gem that he is, knew I'd be desirous of something sweet and brought home two fancy, shmancy dark chocolate bars. I think one had pepper in it.

I indulged in a few pieces of each (it was late and I'd had a few glasses of wine). They were delicious and I didn't think a thing of it. But later, oh later, I paid the price.

As I was watching Mad Men with hubby, I began to feel an ache all across my chest. Then my tummy began to feel all quivery and yucky. My heart was pounding and I felt nervous for no reason. I thought I was having a heart attack!

Let me tell you, there is nothing like a heart attack (or cancer, or any serious illness) scare to put your life in perspective. It made me want to burst into each kids' room and hug and kiss and hold them. It made me want to turn off the TV. It made me want to do something important, or at least special. I remembered the donation I'd been meaning to make to a certain charity.

By the next morning I felt fine, thankfully. I learned the hard way that my (less than youthful) body can not handle that much chocolate/caffeine in the evening. But in a way I'm glad, because it made me refocus my priorities - something that I need from time to time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling OK!

Anonymous said...

Yuck! That happened to me once too. Not fun...