Friday, April 19, 2013

3 kids

It is a pretty strange and paradoxical feeling - wanting your oldest to rocket off into the world successfully, and the hurt in your heart because you miss him so much. My guy is so independent these days, I hardly ever talk with him. So I miss our connection. At the same time, I want him to separate and leave the nest, as is appropriate. I'm all mixed up. I want to help him, but he needs to make his own mistakes. Holding on is not an option.

I have conflicting feelings about my middle child as well. At times I swell with pride at the creative way she thinks, and how she excels at things that I can not do. Other times I wish I could figure out a way to shake off the (protective?) shield she has placed around herself. I wish I could get inside her head. Alas....not possible. She remains a bit of a mystery. She thinks like her Dad.....

Youngest child, while annoyingly talkative, is still sweet and loving. She is (I think) the most like me and we get on like a house on fire. I understand her completely, and she gets me too. We are friends. I am holding on to the last moments of her childhood as best I can, without hindering her from growing up. She loves for me to kiss her left cheek, right cheek, forehead, chin and nose each night. Sigh.....

0 comments: